Badges and Gender-Inclusive Restrooms at August 2018 Sociology Conferences
Sociologists for Trans Justice (S4TJ) is committed to working with sociology organizations to ensure the safety, inclusion, and well-being of trans, non-binary, genderqueer, and intersex people at the sociology conferences. Two particular S4TJ priorities are the availability and accessibility of gender-inclusive public restrooms and displaying conference attendees’ pronouns on conference badges. Below, we list the availability (or lack thereof) of gender-inclusive bathrooms and conference badges at next month’s sociology conferences in Philadelphia, PA.
Note that the city of Philadelphia legally recognizes the right of any individual to use gender-segregated public restrooms that correspond with their gender identity and expression. For a copy of the statute, visit www.phila.legistar.com.
August 9-10, Drexel University
- Bathrooms: Restrooms nearest to preconference events will be gender-inclusive.
- Conference badges: Preconference badges will include a space to write-in one’s pronoun(s).
August 11-14, Pennsylvania Convention Center and Philadelphia Marriott Downtown
- Bathrooms: Multiple all-gender and gender-segregated restrooms will be available in both the Convention Center and Marriott hotel for the ASA meeting, as well as the Sociologists for Women in Society meeting.
- Pennsylvania Convention Center: two gender-inclusive restrooms will be available on the ground floor (between N. 12th and N. 13th Street entrances), one will be available near ASA’s Exhibit Hall.
- Philadelphia Marriott Downtown: one gender-inclusive restroom will be available on the 5th floor and one on the 4th
- Conference badges: Attendees can request any information, including pronouns, be added to their conference badge when it is printed out at the registration desk. Stickers onto which attendees can write their pronoun(s) will be provided, as well. While S4TJ will bring a few markers, we recommend having one of your own just in case.
August 11-13, Pennsylvania Convention Center and Philadelphia Marriott Downtown
- Bathrooms: SWS attendees will have access to the gender-inclusive and gender-segregated restrooms provided by the ASA conference (see above).
- Conference badges: SWS will provide a space to write-in one’s pronoun(s) on conference badges. A marker will be available at the registration desk.
August 10-12, Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel
- Bathrooms: One all-gender restroom will be located near Salon 10 on the Mezzanine Level.
- Conference badges: SSSP does not offer options to list one’s pronoun(s) on one’s conference badge. (We encourage you to bring a marker to write your own pronoun by hand.)
August 10-11, Center City Campus of the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education (PASSHE), Mellon Independence Center
- Bathrooms: All-gender restrooms will be available. Signage will be posted to direct attendees to these facilities.
- Conference badges: SSSI will provide a space to write-in one’s pronoun(s) on conference badges. A sign explaining pronouns with examples will be posted.
August 11-13, Sofitel Philadelphia Hotel
- Bathrooms: ASR conference attendees are encouraged to use the gender-segregated restroom that corresponds with their gender identity and expression. Alternatively, family restrooms may be used.
- Conference badges: ASR will provide stickers onto which attendees can write their pronoun(s), which can be affixed to conference badges.